Social media: write once and post anywhere
I was recently asked about content syndication. I think that it would be best to provide an example: by the time you are reading this a link to this post on WordPress has been distributed across other social media platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
This helps to spread the word by giving my content more visibility. As a result, this blog registers more traffic and, most importantly, engagements, such as conversations and followers from those other platforms.
WordPress’ “Share this” and Twitter’s Facebook app:
- At the bottom of this post you will find (1a) WordPress’ “Share this” bar.
- I usually click on (1b) the “LinkedIn” button, which allows me to write custom updates for both LinkedIn and (1c) Twitter right there.
- Once that’s done, (1d) Twitter’s Facebook app will automatically post an update on my wall too.
- Hootsuite’s (2) message box makes it really easy to write an update.
- You can select of multiple platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Alternatively, this service can automatically create updates for various platforms by tapping into this blog’s RSS feed instead.
If This Then That:
- IFTTT lets users create “recipes,” these are extremely simple one line programs in this case.
- There already are many ready made recipes available, such as the ones that automatically create updates for (4a) Twitter and (4b) Facebook.
- Therefore, “if” I publish anything new on WordPress, IFTTT would “then” post the link on these other platforms right away.
It is also worth using a social media aggregator such as Hootsuite to get a glimpse of what’s going on across one’s social media accounts in just one screen.