Join me on Conference Day: Tuesday, September 21 at 1:15 pm.
At the time of writhing this, we happen to be immersed in the makings of a brave next normal where everything can be revisited and rethought to be better delivered as a seamless service. The ‘experience economy’ is finally taking hold. This means that a ‘customer-first’ mindset and an unwavering commitment to ‘outstanding quality’ are essential to win hearts and minds because what ‘value’ is (and is not) at any given point of time remains a human consideration informed by our experiences.
Digitalization has not only accelerated beyond expectations during the recent pandemic, but has also furthered the relentless adoption of pervasive communication technologies and AI, Artificial Intelligence, across industries. Given the exponential rise of autonomous systems that can enable on-demand self-service coupled with instant mass customization… the more we digitize, the greater the reach and, therefore, the more pressing the need to excel at Human Centered AI with moral imagination and creative confidence.
Jose de Francisco is the Chief Designer at Nokia CNS, Cloud & Network Services, and Co-Head of Nokia’s Chicago Innovation Center, a leading R&D facility integrating all of the company’s business groups. His professional experience encompasses interdisciplinary leadership responsibilities in strategy, product management, research, design, new ventures and marketing.
Award-winning designer and a Distinguished Member (DMTS) of Bell Labs for work on next generation mobile platforms and applications, Jose holds several active patents and an extensive design portfolio featuring 20+ brands. He has served with the Advisory Boards for MIT’s Institute of Data, Systems and Society (IDSS) and Illinois Tech’s Entrepreneurship Center. Jose is currently engaged with Design & Innovation Global, the think tank behind the premier Design Thinking conference series in the United States and is a core team member of TM Forum’s DMM (Digital Maturity Model) and DOT (Digital Organizational Transformation) projects.
Holds several professional certificates in Design and Data Science from MIT, earned an MBA in International Marketing and Finance from Chicago’s DePaul University as a Honeywell Europe Be Brilliant Scholar, and is the recipient of postgraduate degrees in Human Factors Engineering and Business Administration from BarcelonaTech (UPC) and Ireland’s University College Dublin (UCD) respectively. He started his academic life in the Industrial Design program of Barcelona’s Massana Art & Design Center as an Epson Scholar.
Passionate about innovating to create new value, Jose co-authored the ‘Human Factors Engineering Manifesto’ and believes in the exceptional value that comes with consistently delivering ‘Quality Experiences by Design’ (QXbD.) His endeavors can be followed on innovarista.org.
This post just features some of the events that I have participated in over year, which are listed in reverse chronological order. Please note that these are all virtual sessions and that there is a mix of public conferences and invitation-only.
I would like to express my gratitude to everyone involved and would also like to highlight that the unsung hard work and passion of those making things happen behind the scenes should not go unnoticed.
While the scale of 2020’s volatile conditions happens to deliver unprecedented challenges, we should not loose sight of the many excellent examples of resolve, entrepreneurship and goodwill across the board.
I am thankful for these opportunities. All participants’ willingness to share insights and wisdom not only makes a difference, but also furthers progress in everyone’s best interest. Admittedly, I also regret having declined some other invitations due to scheduling conflicts, and hope that there will be other opportunities to cross paths in the near future.
Welcome to the Venture Studio’s 2020 Summer Internship Program. We have made our job to deliver Quality eXperiences by Design (QXbD) and to deliver innovate technological solutions in the process.
Our work intersects Human Centered Design (HCD), Behavioral Economics, and Human Factors Engineering (HFE). The outcome is game changing Human-Machine-Systems (HMS) that excel at best equpping users and organizations to succeed in complex operational environments.
We believe that diversity of thought fuels innovation: our internship program involves an interdisciplinary team working side by side with seasoned experts to invent the future today.
An open and curious mind, creative problem solving coupled with mental toughness, on the job learning, passion for craftmanship and, above all, “making tech human” define our culture and shape what we produce together.
Apply here: Nokia Careers
2020 SUMMER INTERNSHIP BRIEF:
– About Nokia: https://www.nokia.com/about-us/what-we-do/
– Site: Nokia CTC, Chicago Technology Center
– Address: 2000 Lucent Lane, Naperville, IL 60563, United States
– Culture & Workstyle: fluid and interdisciplinary teamwork that challenges preconceptions and fosters experimentation; a work ethic that ecompases integrity, respect, and strives for high performance outcomes
– Dates: June 1st thru August 7th (10 weeks)
– Application deadline: April 1st (online form, portfolio and resume)
– Work hours: Monday thru Friday (business hours)
– Travel: field research can involve domestic travel in the US
– Compensation: biweekly wages based on hourly rates + overtime
– Relocation support: lump sum available under certain conditions
– Equipment: MacBook Pro + productivity, communications and design software provided for the duration of the intership
– Project context: The following two videos featuring industry analsysts provide background information for this year’s internship projects.
Apply here: Nokia Careers
Did you know…
- Given our midcontinent location and fiber concentration, a large percentage of the country’s internet traffic is running through the Chicago area.
- Some of the world’s largest data centers are also located here as a result.
- Chicagoland is home of prestigious National Labs: Fermilab and Argonne.
- Argonne is building the most powerful supercomputer center in the world.
- One of Chicago’s 100+ start-up incubators and accelerators, 1871, has become the world’s #1.
- Chicago is also one of four cities with three tier-1 research universities and plenty of good talent coming out of a number of well known colleges.
- O’Hare is the most connected airport in the U.S.
- The Chicago area is home base for 35+ of Fortune 500 companies.
- The Midwest compares to California not only in population size, but also in the number of patents, which makes Illinois, jointly with Minnesota, Ohio and Michigan, a global innovation leader.
- Nokia Software’s Venture Studio is also based here : )
Last but not least… Naperville is featured as one of the ‘Best Cities to Raise a Family in America’ and ‘Best Cities to Live in America’ . Naperville achieved the No. 1 and No 2 respectively. Naperville also came out on top in the lists of ‘Cities with the Best Public Schools in America’ and ‘Safest Cities in America.’ – Chicago Tribune.
Nokia Corporation is a Fortune Global 500 and a multinational communications and information technology enterprise founded in 1865. There are in excess of 100,000 Nokians worldwide working on a wide variety of leading edge technologies.
Nokia Bell Labs involves some of the industry’s best and brightest minds working on game changing innovations. We are headquartered in Espoo, Finland and are a public limited-liability company listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki, Euronext Paris and New York Stock Exchange.
Apply here: Nokia Careers