I was recently asked about content syndication. I think that it would be best to provide an example: by the time you are reading this a link to this post on WordPress has been distributed across other social media platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
This helps to spread the word by giving my content more visibility. As a result, this blog registers more traffic and, most importantly, engagements, such as conversations and followers from those other platforms.
WordPress’ “Share this” and Twitter’s Facebook app:
- At the bottom of this post you will find (1a) WordPress’ “Share this” bar.
- I usually click on (1b) the “LinkedIn” button, which allows me to write custom updates for both LinkedIn and (1c) Twitter right there.
- Once that’s done, (1d) Twitter’s Facebook app will automatically post an update on my wall too.
- Hootsuite’s (2) message box makes it really easy to write an update.
- You can select of multiple platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Alternatively, this service can automatically create updates for various platforms by tapping into this blog’s RSS feed instead.
If This Then That:
- IFTTT lets users create “recipes,” these are extremely simple one line programs in this case.
- There already are many ready made recipes available, such as the ones that automatically create updates for (4a) Twitter and (4b) Facebook.
- Therefore, “if” I publish anything new on WordPress, IFTTT would “then” post the link on these other platforms right away.
It is also worth using a social media aggregator such as Hootsuite to get a glimpse of what’s going on across one’s social media accounts in just one screen.
Sharing my updates and content on LinkedIn gives my work greater visibility and also supports what’s stated in my profile but, most importantly, creates opportunities for discussing and exchanging views with a number of other LinkedIn members, which helps me with gaining new insights as well as growing my network with relevant contacts.
Taking advantage of content visualization in my LinkedIn profile empowers me to convey facts, ideas and abstract concepts, which would otherwise be harder, or even next to impossible, to share. LinkedIn enables me to communicate in ways that are visually appealing and more effective beyond what’s stated as part of my profile. This is very rewarding when I receive messages that discuss my work and propose new opportunities.
My experience is that LinkedIn works as advertised and keeps getting better. Adding content to my profile makes it far easier for anyone to quickly see what I am about. The more open, the more compelling the results. My believe is that showcasing your thinking and work demonstrates talent, illustrates what makes you relevant and displays your potential.